Friday, April 13, 2012

Cultural Juxtaposition Through Jewelry

I'm half Native American and half Scottish, and I like to reflect my cultural heritage in my jewelry. 



These are Rennie Mackintosh inspired bangles from Scotland. I bought both of them in Scotland; one from a charity shop in my grandmother village, Gullane, and one in the Grassmarket in Edinburgh.



These bracelets are from New Mexico where my uncle lives. The native jewelry from New Mexico is very colourful, usually featuring turquoise, beads and other organic materials, such as beans in the first bracelet and orange peal in the second.

These pieces are very different but they both speak to my background and expresses different parts of my life.

- Mairi Brascoupe

Shot with Auto/Macro Settings on my point & shot camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment